Portugal 1824 6400 reis
This specimen was lot 4319 in Goldberg sale 69 (Los Angeles, May, 2012), where it sold for $1,380. The catalog description  noted, "Portugal. Peca (6400 Reis), 1824. João VI, 1816-1826. Bust right. Reverse: Crowned arms on globe within wreath. NGC graded AU-58." This type was struck 1818-24 but is seldom seen compared to similar coins that were struck in Brazil. Many varieties exist in the design of the wreath on the reverse. Despite the insignificant mintage, the SCWC does not list this as a rare date.
Recorded mintage: 1,553.
Specification: 14.34 g, .917 fine gold, .423 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Fr-128; KM-364, Gomes 18.21 thru 18.29.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Sáez Salgado, Javier, Moedas de Ouro de Portugal, 1185-1889, Lisbon, Numisma Leiloes, 2001.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, Stephen Harvey and Paul Rynearson, Goldberg sale 69: the Pre-Long Beach Auction, Ancient and World Coins, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, 2012.