Portugal 1818 escudo
This specimen was lot 668 in the Eliasberg sale, where it sold for $2,530. The catalog description noted, "1818 1 escudo. MS-62 (NGC). Types as above. Rich greenish gold surfaces with pleasing orange toning highlights. Lustrous and attractive. A highly elusive issue, only 1,804 struck. From the John H. Clapp Collection; Clapp estate to Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., 1942." This very scarce denomination was nominally 1600 réis but is catalogued as an escudo, even though the familiar Spanish escudo contained only .095 troy oz AGW, some 10% lighter. This type was struck 1818, 1819 and 1821 and a preceding type 1805 and 1807; all are rare.
Recorded mintage: 1,804.
Specification: 3.58 g, .917 fine gold, .405 troy oz AGW; this specimen: 3.46 grams, 20.30 mm.
Catalog reference: Fr-130, Gomes-16.01, KM 362.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Kraljevich, John, John Pack, Elizabeth O. Piper and Frank Van Valen, The Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., Collection of World Gold Coins and Medals, Wolfboro, NH: American Numismatic Rarities, 2005.
- Sáez Salgado, Javier, Moedas de Ouro de Portugal, 1185-1889, Lisbon, Numisma Leiloes, 2001.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.