Portugal 1805 800 reis
This specimen was lot 22471 in Heritage sale 3021 (New York, January 2013), where it sold for $1,527.50. The catalog description noted, "João VI gold 1/2 Escudo (800 Reis) 1805, AU58 NGC, very scarce type and grade, nicely struck on both sides with considerable mint luster." This type was struck 1805-07 in small quantities compared to the larger peça (6400 réis). The coin, sometimes called a half escudo, was also struck in Brazil but not in the nineteenth century.
Recorded mintage: 3,278.
Specification: 1.79 g, .917 fine gold, .052 troy oz AGW, 18 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: KM 337, Gomes-28.01.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3021, featuring the Cecil Webster, Richard P. Ariagno and Elizabeth McPhall Charters Collection, Dallas: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2012.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Sáez Salgado, Javier, Moedas de Ouro de Portugal, 1185-1889, Lisbon, Numisma Leiloes, 2001.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.