Portugal 1799 6400 reis
This specimen was lot 22469 in Heritage sale 3021 (New York, January 2013), where it did not sell. The catalog description noted, "Maria I gold 4 Escudos (Peca) 1799, MS63 NGC, well struck with pleasant and bright fields. Very choice." This type was struck 1789-99 but is seldom seen compared to similar coins that were struck in Brazil.
Recorded mintage: 106,740.
Specification: 14.34 g, .917 fine gold, .423 troy oz AGW, 32 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: Fr-116, KM 299, Gomes-30.13.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3021, featuring the Cecil Webster, Richard P. Ariagno and Elizabeth McPhall Charters Collection, Dallas: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2012.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Sáez Salgado, Javier, Moedas de Ouro de Portugal, 1185-1889, Lisbon, Numisma Leiloes, 2001.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.