Portugal 1779 1600 reis
This specimen was lot 22463 in Heritage sale 3021 (New York, January 2013), where it sold for $1,645. The catalog description noted, "Maria I and Pedro II gold Escudo 1779, AU55 NGC, very choice for the scarce type of 1600 Reis denomination. Often found with mounts and other problems, this piece is far superior from the average of the type." This type is noted for 1777-85. The full size peça (6400 réis) was struck in large numbers in Portugal and Brazil but the fractional denominations, including a 3200 réis, are rare.
Recorded mintage: 1,643.
Specification: 3.58 g, .917 fine gold, .105 troy oz AGW, 20 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: KM 270, Gomes-23.04.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3021, featuring the Cecil Webster, Richard P. Ariagno and Elizabeth McPhall Charters Collection, Dallas: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2012.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Sáez Salgado, Javier, Moedas de Ouro de Portugal, 1185-1889, Lisbon, Numisma Leiloes, 2001.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.