Portugal 1776 3200 reis
This specimen was lot 31515 in Heritage sale 3064 (Chicago, April 2018), where it sold for $2,280. The catalog description noted, "Jose I gold 2 Escudos (1/2 Peça) 1776 AU58 NGC, [L]isbon mint. A fleeting series comprised of only a few dates, this current selection contains residual luster that radiates from the fields and well-struck design elements. Adjustment marks across the obverse transect the portrait of Jose, but are fairly commonplace for the type and are not all that distracting to whole of the coin. As such, strong example with an engaging date, sure to draw attention from collectors." This type was struck 1751, 1768, 1772, 1775-76 but is much scarcer than the full peça or "joe", which was struck in large quantities in Portugal and Brazil.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 7.17 g, .917 fine gold, .423 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 246.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach and Warren Tucker, Heritage World Coin Auction 3064, featuring the Doug Robins Collection of Canadian Tokens, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2018.
- Sáez Salgado, Javier, Moedas de Ouro de Portugal, 1185-1889, Lisbon, Numisma Leiloes, 2001.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.