Portugal 1775 6400 reis
This specimen was lot 25306 in Heritage sale 3019 (Chicago, April 2012), where it sold for $2,530. The catalog description noted, "Jose I gold Peca (6400 Reis) 1775, MS63 NGC, a choice and fully original coin with subtle toning and strong eye appeal." This type was struck 1750-76 but is seldom seen compared to similar coins that were struck in Brazil.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 14.34 g, .917 fine gold, .423 troy oz AGW, 31.5 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: Fr-101, KM 240, Gomes-53.28.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Tucker, Warren, and Cristiano Bierrenbach, World and Ancient Coins sale 3019, Dallas: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2012.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Sáez Salgado, Javier, Moedas de Ouro de Portugal, 1185-1889, Lisbon, Numisma Leiloes, 2001.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.