Portugal 1746 800 reis
"PORTUGAL | Königreich, João V. 1706-1750. 1/2 Escudo 1746, Lissabon. Gutes vorzüglich. Minimal justiert. (kingdom of Portugal, John V, 1706-50, half escudo of 1746, Lisbon mint. Good extremely fine, Minimal adjustment marks.)"This type was struck in Lisbon 1732, 1735-50 and is often catalogued as a half escudo even tho it preceded the introduction of the Spanish half escudo by some fifteen years and contained about 10% more gold. Despite the low value listed in the SCWC, this little coin is quite scarce and one should expect to pay substantially over the estimate on the infrequent occasions it comes up for sale. There is a very similar issue from Brazil, equally scarce.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 1.79 g, .917 fine gold, this specimen 1.78 g.
Catalog reference: KM 218.8, Gomes 42.24. Fr-92.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.
- Sáez Salgado, Javier, Moedas de Ouro de Portugal, 1185-1889, Lisbon, Numisma Leiloes, 2001.
- Richter, Jurg, Sincona Auction 59: Gold and Silver Coins and Medals; Coins and Medals from Switzerland, Zurich: SINCONA AG, 2019.