Portugal 1722-L 1600 reis
This specimen was lot 31328 in Heritage sale 3049 (Long Beach, September 2016), where it did not sell. The catalog description noted, "João V gold Escudo (1600 Reis) 1722-L XF45 NGC, Lisbon mint. A moderately circulated example with the majority of the friction blending into striking weakness. The high points of the bust have ghosted into the reverse arms, leaving visible flatness, but the surfaces overall are quite nice, with some residual luster and few obvious abrasions." This one year type catalogs for about triple the later issue of 1724-49.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 3.58 g, .917 fine gold, .105 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 211, Gomes-116.01.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World Coin Auction 3049, featuring the Ohio Valley Collection, the Redwood Collection and the F.P. Briand Collection, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2016.
- Sáez Salgado, Javier, Moedas de Ouro de Portugal, 1185-1889, Lisbon, Numisma Leiloes, 2001.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.