Portugal 1714 4000 reis
This specimen was lot 30466 in Heritage sale 3037 (New York, January 2015), where it sold for $2,820. The catalog description noted, "João V gold 4000 Reis (Moeda) 1714-(L) MS62 NGC, Lisbon mint. Mint State and a well-struck coin, attractive for the assigned grade with clean and satiny surfaces retaining significant subdued luster. Eminently collectible in this seldom seen preservation." This scarce type was struck in Lisbon 1707-22 and in Porto 1712-14 but ceased thereafter. The moidore instead became a familiar coin of Brazil.
Reported Mintage: unknown.
Specification: 10.76 g, .917 fine gold.
Catalog reference: KM 184, Gomes-99.08.
- Sáez Salgado, Javier, Moedas de Ouro de Portugal, 1185-1889, Lisbon, Numisma Leiloes, 2001.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3037, featuring the Empire, the Santa Catarina, the Law and the Santa Maria Collections, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2014.