Portugal 1712 4000 reis
This specimen was lot 30402 in Heritage sale 3040 (Chicago, April 2015), where it sold for $1,527.50. The catalog description noted, "João V gold 4000 Reis 1712-(L) AU58 NGC, Lisbon mint. A somewhat uncommon type in far better preservation than most, with attractive, antiqued-golden tone and aesthetically pleasing design motifs. Scarce in this near mint-state designation." This scarce type was struck in Lisbon 1707-22 and in Porto 1712-14 but ceased thereafter. The moidore instead became a familiar coin of Brazil.
Specification: 10.76 g, .917 fine gold, 30 mm diameter.
Recorded Mintage: unknown.
Catalog reference: Fr-94; KM-184, Gomes-99.06.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage Signature Auction 3040, featuring the Santa Maria, the Alan Dean and the Valley View Life Collections, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2015.
- Sáez Salgado, Javier, Moedas de Ouro de Portugal, 1185-1889, Lisbon, Numisma Leiloes, 2001.
- Alberto Gomes and Francisco Antonio Magro, Moedas Portuguesas e do Território Que Hoje é Portugal: Catálogo das Moedas Cunhadas para o Continentes e Ilhas Adjacentes, para os Territórios do Ultramar e Grão-Mestres Portugueses da Ordem de Malta, 6ª Edição, Lisbon: Associação Numismática de Portugal, 2013.