Poland 1982-CHI 200 zlotych KM-Y137
This specimen was lot 22880 in Stack's Bowers ANA sale (Anaheim, CA, August 2016), where it sold for $540.50. The catalog description noted, "POLAND. 200 Zlotych, 1982-CHI. NGC PROOF-69 ULTRA CAMEO. Commemorating the visit of Pope John Paul II. Tied for finest at NGC and two points finer than anything seen at PCGS for the issue. A superlative example with no spots, tone or fog. Vastly superior to most seen, with very few remaining this nice after nearly 35 years." Pope John Paul II, the first non-Italian pope in several centuries, was a Polish celebrity of the first order and even the Communist regime could not pass up the opportunity to issue NCLT's in his honor. The 1982 series include 100, 200, 1000, 2000, 5000, 10,000 zlotych denominations in various metals.
Recorded mintage: 3,000 plus 3,6500 proofs.
Specification: 28.28 g, .750 fine silver, .678 troy oz ASW, 40 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: KM Y-137.
- Ponterio, Richard, The August 2016 Anaheim ANA Auction: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2016.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901-2000, 42nd ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- 1976 500 zlotych, Kosciusko
- Poland 1982-CHI 1000 zlotych John Paul II
- Poland 1982-CHI 2000 zlotych Fr-129 John Paul II
- Poland 1982-CHI 10000 zlotych John Paul II
- Poland 1985-CHI 100 zlotych Y-136 John Paul II
- pattern 1991 200,000 zlotych, John Paul II, gold
- Coins and currency dated 1982
- return to coins of Poland