Philippines 1771-M quarto
This specimen was lot 43809 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2019), where it sold for $1,440. The catalog description noted, "PHILIPPINES. Quarto, 1771-M. Charles III (1759-88). PCGS VF-25 Gold Shield. RARE in this state of preservation. Rosettes flanking arms of Spain consisting of six dots with one dot in the center. Our first offering of this date since Ponterio sale 161 (August ANA 2011, lot 20612 Very Fine where it hammered for $475- plus the buyers fee.). Weakly struck in the centers with a planchet split at five o'clock. Bold full four digit date with nearly complete legends. Overall a lovely example with beautiful rich patina displaying a hint of a magenta sheen that pops out when tilted. From the Ray Czahor Collection." The Manila mint was little better than a smithy prior to the 1860's. This quarto and its accompanying octavo are not particularly rare but very difficult to find in collectible condition being crudely made and harshly used. This type is listed for 1771-74 and 1782-83. This specimen realized nearly six times the catalog value.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Catalog reference: Cayón-10940, KM-2; Basso-6; Cal-Type 190 #1863.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Basso, Aldo P., Coins, Medals and Tokens of the Philippines, Menlo Park, CA: 1968.
- Ganzon de Legarda, Angelita, Piloncitos to Pesos, A Brief History of Coinage in the Philippines, Manila: Bancom Development Corporation, 1976.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, Matt Orsini and Cris Chatigny, The January 2019 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2018.