Philippines (1832-34) c/s 8 reales KM-74
This specimen was lot 4200 in Stack's-Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2015), where it sold for $258.50. The catalog description noted, "PHILIPPINES. 8 Reales, ND (Authorized October 2, 1832, commencing October 5, 1832, officially ending December 20, 1834). Type V countermark crowned F.7.0 within circle. On an 1830-GaFS Mexican 8 Reales. Scarce early date host coin. Countermark well struck and centered. Host coin has some smoothing under eagles right wing. Moderate even wear with light attractive iridescent toning. Countermark VF Details, host coin PCGS Genuine--Repaired, EF Details Secure Holder. From the Ray Czahor Collection." This counterstamp was applied 1832-34 to Latin American pesos arriving in Manila from the newly independent republics, none of which were recognized by Spain. The SCWC lists over forty different types receiving this counterstamp.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .903 fine silver.
Catalog reference: KM-74; Basso-41; cf.PNM#6-46; PNM#16-110; Cacho-Type VIII CS-043; Lopez-Chavez Yriarte-Type III group A; Gil-Crown variety 5-4-1-C (1834).
- Basso, Aldo P., Coins, Medals and Tokens of the Philippines, Menlo Park, CA: 1968.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Ponterio, Richard, The January 2015 NYINC Auction: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, Featuring the John W. Adams and Ray Czabor Collections, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2014.
- Mexico 1830-Ga FS 8 reales
- "F-7" counterstamped on an Argentina 8 soles
- "F-7" counterstamped on Brazil 960 réis
- "F-7" counterstamped on a Guatemala 8 reales
- "F-7" counterstamped on a Mexico pillar 8 reales
- "F-7" counterstamped on a Charles IV 8 reales
- "F-7" counterstamped on a Mexico "hook-neck" 8 reales
- "F-7" counterstamped on a Peru 8 reales
- "Y-II" counterstamped on a Mexico republic 2 reales
- (1834-37) "Y-II" c/s on holed Peru 8 reales
- Philippines (1834-37) c/s 8 escudos KM 141.1
- Coins and currency dated 1832