Philippines (1832-34) c/s 8 reales KM-59
This specimen was lot 1373 in Stacks-Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2015), where it sold for $7,050. The catalog description noted, "PHILIPPINES. 8 Reales, ND (Authorized October 2, 1832, commencing October 5, 1832, officially ending December 20, 1834). Type V countermark crowned F.7.0 within circle. On a 1765-MoMF Mexico 'Pillar' 8 Reales. RARE host coin. Countermark on reverse well executed with die crack at 1 o'clock. Slight ghosting of countermark on obverse, incuse and in retrograde. Moderately worn with pleasing light grey toning. Countermark AU Details, host coin PCGS EF-40 Secure Holder." This counterstamp was applied 1832-34 to Latin American pesos arriving in Manila from the newly independent republics, none of which were recognized by Spain. The SCWC lists over forty different types receiving this counterstamp. Colonial Mexican coins were not supposed to be counterstamped, already being legal for trade, so those that did are rare.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .903 fine silver.
Catalog reference: KM-59; Basso-41; cf.PNM#6-21; cf.PNM#16-65/66; Cacho-Type VIII; Lopez-Chavez Yriarte-Type III group B; Gil-Crown variety 5-4-!(2)-B (1833); Her-617.
- Basso, Aldo P., Coins, Medals and Tokens of the Philippines, Menlo Park, CA: 1968.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Ponterio, Richard, The January 2015 NYINC Auction: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, Featuring the John W. Adams and Ray Czabor Collections, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2014.
- Mexico 1765-Mo MF 8 reales
- "F-7" counterstamped on an Argentina 8 soles
- "F-7" c/s on Bolivia republic 8 soles
- "F-7" counterstamped on Brazil 960 réis
- "F-7" counterstamped on a Guatemala 8 reales
- "F-7" counterstamped on a Charles IV 8 reales
- "F-7" counterstamped on a "hook-neck" 8 reales
- "F-7" counterstamped on a Mexico republic 8 reales
- "F-7" counterstamped on a Peru Libre 8 reales
- "F-7" counterstamped on a Peru (Cuzco) republic 8 reales
- (1834-37) "Y-II" c/s on holed Peru 8 reales
- Philippines (1834-37) c/s 8 escudos KM 141.1
- Coins and currency dated 1832