Peru 1882-Ayacucho LM 5 pesetas
"Peru. Republic. 5 Pesetas, 1882 L.M (Ayacucho). Peseta Coinage. Female head left, her hair wreathed with grains and flowers. Reverse: Shield of arms flanked by wreath, and crowned above by nimbate wreath of oak. Superb strike, with only the faintest of weakness at the centers. Essentially white, with the merest hint of toning. Pristine, and sparkling with superb luster. Scarce. NGC graded MS-64.
"Ayacucho is the capital city of Huamanga province in southern Peru. It was settled by the Spanish conquistador, Pizarro, in 1540. The name Ayacucho derives from the Quechuan two words 'Aya' and 'Kuchu' meaning 'dead corner'. Apparently a major Quechuan battle left so many dead bodies that the name was gruesomely coined."
The specimen shown was struck as an experimental imitation of the contemporary Spanish five pesetas of the same weight and fineness. History does not reveal why this coinage was felt to be necessary as the Lima mint was simultaneously striking the sol, also of the same weight and fineness. One may note that 1882 was in the midst of the War of the Pacific and Lima was occupied by Chilean troops. In any event, the experiment does not seem to have been a success, as no other dates are known from Lima. There are some very rare issues from Ayacucho (shown here) dated 1881-82 and a medio real dated 1882.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 25 g, .900 fine silver, .723 troy oz ASW; this specimen: 25.04 grams.
Catalog reference: Eliz-237; WR 26; KM 201.3.
- Goldberg, Ira, and Larry Goldberg, Goldberg Sale 46: the Millenia Collection, Beverly Hills, CA: Ira and Larry Goldberg Auctioneers, 2008.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Elizondo, Carlos A., Eight Reales and Pesos of the New World, San Antonio, TX: 1968.
- Raymond, Wayte, The Silver Dollars of North and South America, 2nd Ed., Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing, 1964.
- 1879 5 centavos provisional
- 1879 10 centavos provisional
- 1880 10 centavos provisional
- 1879 20 centavos provisional
- Peru 1882-Ayacucho B 1/2 real
- 1880-BF peseta
- 1880-BF 5 pesetas
- 1881-Ayacucho B 5 pesetas
- Coins and currency dated 1882
- other specimens in The Millenia Collection.
- return to coins of Peru