Peru 1812-L JP 4 escudos
Peru, of a type struck 1812-13. A large bust obverse is also known for 1812; it is rather scarcer. This specimen was lot 3514 in the Eliasberg sale, where it sold for $14,950. The catalog description noted,
"1812 JP 4 escudos. Lima mint. MS-61 (NGC). Small draped and laureated bust of Fernando VII to right, legends around, date below / crowned arms, legends around. Medium gold with deeper toning in the obverse legends and especially among the reverse recesses. Faint vertical adjustment marks at central obverse. Boldly lustrous and reflective. A very rare two year type featuring the same bust that was used on Lima 2 reales, almost never encountered in this grade and very desirable. From the John H. Clapp Collection; Clapp estate to Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., 1942."
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 13.53 g, .875 fine gold, .380 troy oz AGW; this specimen: 13.47 grams, 31.50 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: Fr-51, KM 122.
- Kraljevich, John, John Pack, Elizabeth O. Piper and Frank Van Valen, The Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., Collection of World Gold Coins and Medals, Wolfboro, NH: American Numismatic Rarities, 2005.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.