Peru 1776-L MJ 8 escudos
This specimen was lot 21455 in Stack's Bowers ANA sale (Chicago, August 2019), where it sold for $2,880. The catalog description noted, "PERU. 8 Escudos, 1776-LM MJ. Lima Mint. Charles III. NGC AU-50. There are only a handful certified of this RARE issue with only two examples graded finer at NGC. Minted in the same year as the writing of the Declaration of Independence. A pleasing example of the date with an exceptionally bold strike and moderate handling over the surfaces, which is allowable within the confines of the grade." This coin was minted 1772-89; later issues of this type (1785-89) were struck in gold lowered to .875 fine. Assayer MJ is listed for 1773-79.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .901 fine gold, .784 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Cayón-12874, KM-82.1; Fr-32.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, vol. 1, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Orsini, Matt, Richard Ponterio and Kyle Ponterio, The August 2019 Chicago ANA Auction: World Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2019.