Peru 1769-L JM 8 escudos
This specimen was lot 30425 in Heritage sale 3037 (New York, January 2015), where it sold for $4,700. The catalog description noted, "Charles III gold 8 Escudos 1769 LM-JM AU55 PCGS, Lima mint. An impressive example of this rarely available type and date with much original luster remaining in the fields and a touch of rose-colored accent around the outer peripheries that adds to the originality. The first example of this date that we have offered, and a such, a sure bet to attract much attention from serious collector of Spanish colonial 8 Escudos." This eight escudos was struck 1768-72 as a slightly modified version of the type issued 1763-68 (KM 70).
Reported Mintage: unknown. All dates are rare.
Specification: 27.07 g, .917 fine gold, .798 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: Cayón-12801, Fr-28, KM 73.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, vol. 1, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3037, featuring the Empire, the Santa Catarina, the Law and the Santa Maria Collections, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2014.