Peru 1762-L JM 4 escudos
This specimen was lot 261 in Sedwick sale 13 (Winter Park, FL, May 2013), where it did not sell. The catalog description noted, "Lima, Peru, bust 4 escudos, Charles III (first bust), 1762JM, encapsulated NGC MS 61, extremely rare and finest known. A lovely coin with superb luster and well struck, the only flaw at all being a faint adjustment mark through the head, truly outstanding quality and quite rare as a (two-year) type, of which (by our records) no specimens have entered the public market in many years." This type is recorded for 1761-62 only and is rarer than those which preceded and followed it. It is, in fact, the rarest four escudos from Peru.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 13.54 g, .917 fine gold, .394 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Cayón-12580, Fr-25, KM-67; CT-269.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Sedwick, Daniel F., Augi Garcia and Cori Sedwick Downing, Treasure Auction #13, Winter Park, FL: Daniel Frank Sedwick, LLC, 2013.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.