Peru 1750-L R 4 escudos
The first specimen was lot 40304 in Ponterio sale 168 (Philadelphia, August 2012), where it sold for $6,756. The catalog description noted, "PERU. 4 Escudos, (1)750-R. NGC AU-50. Ferdinand VI (1746-59). Two dates, one on obverse and one on reverse. Recovered from the wreck of the "Luz". Ex: Sotheby's New York March 1993 Auction, Lot #560." The second specimen was lot 44 in Sedwick Treasure Auction 26 (Winter Park, FL, November 2019), where it sold for $4,760. The catalog description noted, "Lima, Peru, cob 4 escudos, 1750R, 8E-die cross side, NGC AU 58, ex-Luz (designated on label). Very sharp details (fully MS in our opinion, second finest in NGC census nonetheless), with full pillars (slightly doubled) and cross (off-center) with clear denomination 8 above and second assayer R to right. From the Luz (1752), pedigreed to the Ponterio auction of April 1999, with original lot-tag #2017."This is the only recorded cob four escudos for Ferdinand VI from Peru. The following year saw the first issue of machine struck gold coins.
Recorded mintage: 1,508.
Specification: 13.54 g, .917 fine gold, .398 troy oz AGW, the second specimen 13.51 g.
Catalog reference: Cayón-10797, S-L31; Fr-13; KM-A47; Cal-type-25#91.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Ponterio, Richard, Ponterio sale 168: The Official ANA Auction, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2012.
- Sedwick, Daniel Frank, Augi Garcia and Cori Sedwick Downing, Treasure Auction 26, Winter Park, FL: Daniel Frank Sedwick LLC, 2019.