Peru 1709-L M 2 escudos
The first specimen was lot 26 in Sedwick sale 25 (Winter Park, FL, May 2019), where it sold for $4,462.50. The catalog description noted, "Lima, Peru, cob 2 escudos, 1709M, NGC MS 61, ex-1715 Fleet (designated on label). Broad and oddly out-of-round flan with good full cross-lions-castles and pillars-and-waves, full crown, matte surfaces with light toning all over. NGC #4709891-002. From the 1715 Fleet." The second specimen was lot 45 in Sedwick Treasure Auction 26 (Winter Park, FL, November 2019), where it sold for $4,760. The catalog description noted, "Lima, [[Peru], cob 2 escudos, 1709M, NGC MS 62, ex-1715 Fleet (designated on special label). Good full pillars, full but off-center cross, matte surfaces and weak peripheries but no doubling, lightly toned. From the 1715 Fleet." The type was struck in Lima, Peru, 1701-44; many dates are not listed. Gold coins from colonial Peru are much scarcer than those from Colombian mints. Assayer H is also recorded for 1709.
Recorded mintage: 14,184, including assayer H.
Specification: 6.77 g, .917 fine gold, the first specimen 6.71 g, the second specimen 6.75 g.
Catalog reference: Cayón-9650, S-L28; KM-36; CT-303; the second specimen S-L25a; KM-36; CT-unl.
- Sedwick, Daniel Frank, Augi Garcia and Cori Sedwick Downing, Treasure Auction 25, Winter Park, FL: Daniel Frank Sedwick LLC, 2019.
- Sedwick, Daniel Frank, Augi Garcia and Cori Sedwick Downing, Treasure Auction 26, Winter Park, FL: Daniel Frank Sedwick LLC, 2019.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, vol. 1, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.