Peru 1703-L H 8 escudos
This specimen was lot 10 in Sedwick Treasure Auction 27 (Winter Park, FL, May 2020), where it sold for $38,675. The catalog description noted, "Lima, Peru, cob 8 escudos, 1703H, HISPAN variety, rare, NGC MS 62, ex-1715 Fleet (designated on special label), ex-Tampa Sale. This lovely example of a rare date (missing in the State of Florida collection) shows fully detailed, well-centered and 100% complete interiors with also much legend and a full and beautiful crown, all with a hint of luster and toning, also a neat pedigree with the added distinction of a record price realized at the time, tied with one other for finest in NGC census. Note Tauler records four different legend varieties for this rare date. NGC #4762829-001. From the 1715 Fleet, pedigreed to the 2003 "Tampa sale" (lot #58)." Cob eight escudos were struck at the Lima mint 1701-47 for Philip V of Spain and became the "doubloons" of pirate lore.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.07 g, .917 fine gold, this specimen 26.93 grams.
Catalog reference: S-L25a; KM-38.1; Cal-2110, Cayón-9886.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, vol. 1, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Menzel, Sewall, Cobs, Pieces of Eight and Treasure Coins, New York: The American Numismatic Society, 2004.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Sedwick, Daniel Frank, Augi Garcia and Cori Sedwick Downing, Treasure Auction 27, Winter Park, FL: Daniel Frank Sedwick LLC, 2020.