Peru 1700-L H 4 escudos
"Easily the Finest Known Carlos II gold Cob 4 Escudos 1700 L-H, MS65 NGC. Due to its long-standing association with "treasure," numismatists have long been attracted to cob coinage. Most broad-based collectors find it worthwhile to add at least one representative to their collections. For most, this means picking up one of the many silver denominations; for the more financially secure, it often means the acquisition an 8 Escudo type from a shipwreck salvage, like the 1715 Plate Fleet. While these shipwrecks have given supply to the collectors who desire to connect with this era of Spanish Colonial coinage, their hauls have, for the most part, been absent of the 4 Escudos type. As such, any issue of the 4 Escudos denomination, especially during Carlos II's reign, is rare, and any offering is met with great enthusiasm. The present 4 Escudos however stands at a great distance from the others - it is very likely the single finest example extant from the reign of Carlos II. The surfaces are nothing short of immaculate with mint-fresh luster throughout, and no handling is apparent even upon close inspection. The strike, often severely misplaced on the flan, is almost perfectly centered with both sides showing near complete border beading. Only slight strike doubling exists. All said, this is undoubtedly one of the finest jewels in a collection of wonderful treasures. For the collector that demands the finest, this is certainly an opportunity that shouldn't be overlooked."This four escudos was struck 1696-1701 in very limited numbers.
Reported Mintage: 2,006.
Specification: 13.54 g, .917 fine gold, .399 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: Cayón-7868, KM 25.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, vol. 1, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Stuart Levine and Bruce Lorich, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3029, featuring Selections from the Eric P. Newman Collection, Part III, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2013.