Peru 1698-L H 2 reales
This specimen is one of a series struck in Lima late in the reign of Charles II (1664-1700). It is a two reales of the cob type, which means it was produced from an irregular chunk of silver by hammering. This was the manner of production for all Spanish colonial coinage in Lima up until the introduction of milled planchets in 1752. The obverse of the coin features a cross with the symbols for Castile and Leon. Above the cross is the number 2, denoting the denomination. To the left is L for Lima, and the assayer initial H is to the right. On the reverse, the pillars and waves motif forms the structure of the design, and the denomination appears again at the top. The mintmark is shown twice (10 and 4 o'clock), and the last two digits of the date (98) are shown under PLV SVL TR(A). The assayer initial H shows at 2 and 7 o'clock. The mintmark and assayer are featured multiple times to make sure at least one would be legible, even on a botched strike. This specimen was lot 1103 in Sedwick sale 9 (Fort Lauderdale, FL, April 2011), where it sold for $345. The catalog description noted, "Lima, Peru, cob 2 reales, 1698H. Nice full pillars side, choice but off-center cross, bold king's name in legend, 1-1/2 dates, 2 mintmarks and 3 assayers, VF+ with toned fields, very attractive."
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 6.76 grams, 0.931 fine silver, .202 troy oz ASW, this specimen 6.4 grams.
Catalog reference: Cayón no. 7412, S-L13; KM-21; CT-572.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, 2 volumes, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Menzel, Sewall, Cobs, Pieces of Eight and Treasure Coins, New York: The American Numismatic Society, 2004.
- Sedwick, Daniel F., Augi Garcia and Cori Sedwick Downing, Treasure Auction #9, Winter Park, FL: Daniel Frank Sedwick, LLC, 2011.