Peru (1572)-P X 4 reales
The first specimen was lot 3409 in Goldberg sale 87 (Los Angeles, September 2015), where it did not sell. The catalog description noted, "Peru. 4 Reales, ND (1572) P X. Philip II, of Spain, 1554-1598. Crowned arms. Reverse: Castles and lions. NGC graded Very Fine, Details (Excavation Recovery, not in holder with tag)." The second specimen was lot 507 in Sedwick Treasure Auction 27 (Winter Park, FL, May 2020), where it sold for $1,547. The catalog description noted, "Lima, Peru, cob 4 reales, Philip II, assayer X to right of shield, very rare. Broad flan with very crisply detailed (albeit slightly doubled) full shield and cross, bold denomination and mintmark (assayer clear but weaker), slightly porous XF with light toning." This is the first four reales catalogued for Lima and is very rare. The Lima mint competed for silver with the Potosi mint (which was closer to the major mines) and colonial authorities closed it several times in the sixteenth century.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 13.53 g, .931 fine silver, .405 troy oz ASW, the second specimen 12.98 grams.
Catalog reference: S-L3; KM-11; Cal-497, Cayón-3744.
- Cayón, Adolfo, Clemente Cayón and Juan Cayón, Las Monedas Españolas, del Tremis al Euro: del 411 a Nuestros Dias, vol. 1, Madrid: Cayón-Jano S.L., 2005.
- Calicó, Xavier, Numismática Española: Catálogo General con Precios de Todas las Monedas Españolas Acuñadas desde Los Reyes Católicos Hasta Juan Carlos I, 1474 a 2001, Barcelona: Aureo & Calicó, 2008.
- Menzel, Sewall, Cobs, Pieces of Eight and Treasure Coins, New York: The American Numismatic Society, 2004.
- Krause, Chester L., and Colin R. Bruce II, Standard Catalog of World Coins: Spain, Portugal and the New World, Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2002.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, John Lavender, Yifu Che, Jason Villareal and Stephen Harvey, Goldberg Sale 87: the Pre-Long Beach Auction, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, 2015.
- Sedwick, Daniel Frank, Augi Garcia and Cori Sedwick Downing, Treasure Auction 27, Winter Park, FL: Daniel Frank Sedwick LLC, 2020.