Papal States 1866-R 5 lire
"ITALIE, ETATS PONTIFICAUX, Pie IX (1846-1878), (Giovanni Maria Mastai-Ferretti), AV 5 lire, 1866 R, an 21, Rome. Rare. Petits coups. Superbe à Fleur de Coin . (Italy, Papal States, Pius IX (1846-78), (Giovanni Maria Mastai-Ferretti), gold five lire of 1866, year 21, Rome mint. Rare, small rim nicks, extremely fine to Uncirculated.)"This type is known for 1866-67; both dates are rare as is the silver five lire of 1867-70. The pope was enjoying his last days as an independent potentate; when French troops left in 1870, Italian troops marched in and forcibly unified Rome with the rest of the kingdom of Italy. Coinage resumed in 1929 in the name of the Vatican.
Recorded mintage: 3,230.
Specification: 1.612 g, .900 fine gold.
Catalog reference: Munt., 44; Berman-3336; Fr-282, KM 1380.
- Berman, Allen G., Papal Coins, South Salem, NY: Attic Books, 1991.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003
- Elsen, Philippe, Vente Publique 111, Brussels: Jean Elsen et ses fils, S.A., 2011.