Papal States 1860-R 2-1/2 scudi
scudo divided into one hundred baiocchi. Gold one, 2½, five and ten scudi were minted at Rome and Bologna until 1865. This specimen was lot 3547 in Sincona sale 43 (Zurich, October 2017), where it sold for 300 CHF (about US$358 including buyer's fees). The catalog description noted,
"ITALY | Vatican - Church State, Pius IX. 1846-1878 2 1/2 Scudi An XV/1860 R. Rom. Sehr schön-vorzüglich. (Papal States, Pius IX, 1846-78, 2½ scudi of 1860, year 15, Rome mint. Very fine-extremely fine.)"
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 4.33 g, .900 fine gold, .125 troy oz AGW, this specimen 4.31 g.
Catalog reference: KM 1117, Pagani 370, Fr-273, Ber-3306.
- Berman, Allen G., Papal Coins, South Salem, NY: Attic Books, 1991.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Richter, Jürg, Sincona sale 43, Gold and Silver Coins and Medals, Zurich: Sincona AG, 2017.