Papal States 1856-R scudo Dav-194
This type, struck 1850-56 at Rome (shown here) and Bologna, is not listed as rare but seldom turns up. The edge lettering was updated mid-year on the anniversary of the reign of the pope, but only "Anno IX" is mentioned for 1854. The coinage was reformed to use centesimi and lire in 1867 but the Papal States were annexed by Italy in 1870 and the series ended.
Recorded mintage: 1,000.
Specification: 26.87 g, .900 fine silver.
- Berman, Allen G., Papal Coins, South Salem, NY: Attic Books, 1991.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Davenport, John S., European Crowns and Talers, Since 1800, 2nd Ed., London: Spink & Son, 1964.