Papal States 1853-R 50 baiocchi
This specimen was lot 5033 in Goldberg sale 69 (Los Angeles, May, 2012), where it did not sell. The catalog description  noted, "Italian States - Papal/Roman States. 50 Baiocchi, 1853-R. A.VIII. Pius IX. Head left. Reverse: Value and date within wreath. Lightly toned. NGC graded MS-61." This type, struck 1850-57, is not listed as rare but seldom turns up. The edge lettering was updated mid-year on the anniversary of the reign of the pope, hence both "Anno VII" and "Anno VIII" are mentioned for 1853. The "Anno VII" is given a slight premium. The fifty baiocchi was one half of a scudo. The coinage was reformed to use centesimi and lire in 1867 but the Papal States were annexed by Italy in 1870 and the series ended.
Recorded mintage: 684,000 (year VII and VIII).
Specification: 13.43 g, .900 fine silver.
Catalog reference: KM-1357; Pagani-402, Ber-3310.
- Berman, Allen G., Papal Coins, South Salem, NY: Attic Books, 1991.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, Stephen Harvey and Paul Rynearson, Goldberg sale 69: the Pre-Long Beach Auction, Ancient and World Coins, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, 2012.