Papal States 1850-R 20 baiocchi Year IV
This specimen was lot 1601 in Stephen Album sale 14 (Santa Rosa, CA, September 2012), where it sold for $55. The catalog description noted, "PAPAL STATES: Pius IX, 1846-1878, AR 20 baiocchi, 1850-R year IV, choice lustrous About Uncirculated." This type, struck 1848-56 from Rome and Bologna, is not listed as rare but seldom turns up. The edge lettering was updated mid-year on the anniversary of the reign of the pope, hence both "Anno IV" and "Anno V" are mentioned for 1850. The twenty baiocchi was one fifth of a scudo. The coinage was reformed to use centesimi and lire in 1867 but the Papal States were annexed by Italy in 1870 and the series ended.
Recorded mintage: 673,872.
Specification: 5.37 g, .900 fine silver, .155 troy oz ASW, 23 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: Gig-81, Cr-173, KM 1357, Ber-3311.
- Berman, Allen G., Papal Coins, South Salem, NY: Attic Books, 1991.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Album, Stephen. Stephen Album Auction 14, Santa Rosa, CA: Stephen Album Rare Coins, 2012.