Papal States 1849-R 5 baiocchi KM-1346
This specimen was lot 1300 in Ponterio sale 182 (New York, January 2014), where it sold for $763.75. The catalog description noted, "ITALY. Papal States. 5 Baiocchi, 1849-R. PCGS MS-65 BN Secure Holder. Toned with orange mint luster around devices." One hundred baiocchi made a scudo. This denomination is known in silver for 1835-66 and in copper for 1849-54. The coinage was reformed to use centesimi and lire in 1867 but the Papal States were annexed by Italy in 1870 and the series ended.
Recorded mintage: 938,000 plus 21,000 in silver (KM-1341a).
Specification: 40 g, copper, 41 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: KM-1346; Berman-3321; Gig-166; Mont-240.
- Berman, Allen G., Papal Coins, South Salem, NY: Attic Books, 1991.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Ponterio, Richard, Ponterio sale 182: The January 2014 NYINC Auction: World Coins, Irvine, CA: Stacks Bowers LLC.