Papal States 1848-B 1/2 baiocco
This specimen was lot 1328 in Stephen Album sale 32 (Santa Rosa, CA, September 2018), where it did not sell. The catalog description noted, "PAPAL STATES: Pius IX, 1846-1878, AE ½ baiocco, 1848/7-B, PCGS graded MS64 BR." This type was struck at Bologna and Rome 1847-49. The denomination was terminated in 1852.
Recorded mintage: 48,620 including the regular date.
Specification: 5 g, copper, 24 mm diameter, plain edge.
Catalog reference: KM-1340, Gig-238a (overdate), Ber-3327.
- Berman, Allen G., Papal Coins, South Salem, NY: Attic Books, 1991.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Album, Stephen, Joseph Lang, Paul Montz, Michael Barry and Norman Douglas Nicol, Auction 32, featuring the Don Erickson Collection of German Coins, Part II and the Hazerfans Collection of Ottoman Empire Coins, Santa Rosa, CA: Stephen Album Rare Coins, Inc., 2018.