Papal States 1846-R scudo Dav-193
"VATIKAN / KIRCHENSTAAT Sede Vacante, 1846. Scudo 1846, Rom. Fast FDC. (Papal States, vacant seat, scudo of 1846, Rome mint, choice uncirculated.)"Coinage of the Papal States remains popular today for, besides the strong associations for Catholics, this period saw a string of commemorative issues featuring wonderfully vivid portraits of the various men who occupied the throne of St. Peter. The scudo superseded the piastra after 1740. This type is noted for 1846 only but is somewhat available.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 26.87 g, .900 fine silver, the first specimen 26.91 g.
- Berman, Allen G., Papal Coins, South Salem, NY: Attic Books, 1991.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Davenport, John S., European Crowns and Talers, Since 1800, 2nd Ed., London: Spink & Son, 1964.
- Numismatic Coins, Medals & Banknotes, Auction 11, Zurich: Sincona AG, 2013.