Papal States 1837-R 10 scudi
scudo divided into one hundred baiocchi. Gold one, 2½, five and ten scudi were minted at Rome and Bologna until 1865. This specimen was lot 1603 in Sincona sale 38 (Zurich, May 2017), where it sold for 1,600 CHF (about US$1,919 including buyer's fees). The catalog description noted,
"Gregorio XVI. 1831-1846 10 Scudi AN VII/1837 R. Roma. Gutes sehr schön. Kleiner Randfehler. (Papal States, Gregory XVI, 1831-46, ten scudi of 1837, Rome mint. Good very fine. Minor rim nick.)"
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 17.33 g, .900 fine gold, .501 troy oz AGW, this specimen 17.31 g.
Catalog reference: KM 1108, Pagani 159. Schl. 34. Fr-263, Ber-3281.
- Berman, Allen G., Papal Coins, South Salem, NY: Attic Books, 1991.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Jürg Richter, Auction 38, Gold Coins and Medals, Zurich: Sincona AG, 2017.