Papal States 1834-B doppia
scudo divided into one hundred baiocchi. Gold one, 2½, five and ten scudi were minted at Rome and Bologna until 1865. The doppia shown here, struck 1833-34, is the last of its denomination. This specimen was lot 1600 in Sincona sale 38 (Zurich, May 2017), where it sold for 850 CHF (about US$1,020 including buyer's fees). The catalog description noted,
"Gregorio XVI. 1831-1846 1 Doppia AN III/1834 B. Bologna . Fast vorzüglich. Kleine Randfehler. (Papal States, Gregory XVI, 1831-46, doppia of 1834, Bologna mint. About extremely fine. Minor rim nicks.)"
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 5.45 g, .917 fine gold, this specimen 5.46 g.
Catalog reference: KM 1103, Pag. 141. Schl. 28. Fr-261, Ber-3273.
- Berman, Allen G., Papal Coins, South Salem, NY: Attic Books, 1991.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Jürg Richter, Auction 38, Gold Coins and Medals, Zurich: Sincona AG, 2017.