Papal States 1829-B doppia Fr-257
"KIRCHENSTAAT/VATIKAN Sedisvakanz 1829. Doppia 1829, B, Bologna. 5,02 g Feingold. GOLD. R Min. justiert, fast vorzüglich. (Papal States, sede vacante, doppia of 1829, Bologna mint. Scarce, adjustment marks, choice extremely fine.)"This sede vacante issue was made between the death of Leo XII and the election of his successor Pius VIII. As Pius died the next year, another sede vacante doppia was issued in 1830 (KM 1102). Both are rare. A doppia may originally have been a double ducat but by this period was substantially lighter. It was tariffed at three scudi.
Record mintage: unknown.
Specification: 5.46 g, .917 fine gold.
Catalog reference: Fr-257; Pagani 121; Schl. 24, KM 1090, Ber-3262.
- Berman, Allen G., Papal Coins, South Salem, NY: Attic Books, 1991.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Künker Münzauktionen und Goldhandel, Catalog 264, Gold coins | Russian Coins and Medals | German Coins after 1871, Osnabrück: Fritz Rudolf Künker GmbH & Co., AG, 2015.