Papal States 1802-R scudo year III Dav-180
"ITALIEN Vaticano Pio VII. 1799-1823. Scudo 1802, AN III, Roma. Fast vorzüglich. (Italy, Papal States, Pius VII, 1799-1823, scudo of 1802, year III, Rome mint. Choice extremely fine.)"This type is listed for 1802-07 with 1802 listed with year II, III and IV. Pius VII endured considerable mistreatment at the hands of Napoleon and was forced to participate in his coronation as emperor. The Congress of Vienna reconstituted the Papal States intact as they were before the French Revolution. They would not be incorporated into the kingdom of Italy until 1870.
Recorded mintage: unknown but fairly common.
Specification: 26.25 g, .917 fine silver; the first specimen is 26,47 g.
- Berman, Allen G., Papal Coins, South Salem, NY: Attic Books, 1991.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Numismatic Coins, Medals, Banknotes & Books: Auction 6, Zurich: SINCONA AG, 2012.