Papal States 1786 2 doppie Fr-385
The first specimen was lot 24585 in Heritage sale 3030 (New York, January 2014), where it sold for $1,292.50. The catalog description noted, "Papal States - Bologna. Pius VI gold 2 Doppie 1786-GP, variety without regnal year, XF45 NGC, lightly toned and original with well-struck details." The second specimen was lot 21262 in Stack's Bowers ANA sale (Philadelphia, August 2018), where it sold for $2,880. The catalog description noted, "ITALY. Papal States. Bologna. 2 Doppia D'Oro, 1786-GP. Pius VI (1775-99). NGC MS-61. Berman-3017. Pius VI (1774-99). Attractive orange tone blankets the surfaces and the strike is evenly placed over both sides with no instances of the larger planchet flaws that often accompany the issue. Uncommon as a type, and certainly RARE at the Mint State level, this being the only example certified." This rare type from the Bologna mint is listed for 1786-87 only. As a "double double" ducat, it should weigh 14 grams but is lighter.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 10.94 g, .917 fine gold, .322 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: KM 311, Fr-385, Ber-3016.
- Berman, Allen G., Papal Coins, South Salem, NY: Attic Books, 1991.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3030, featuring the RLM Collection, the Isaac Rudman Collection, the Hans Cook Collection and the Collection of Donald E. Bently, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2013.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio and Chris Chatigny, The August 2018 Philadelphia ANA Auction: World Coins and Selections from the El Dorado Collection of Colombian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2018.