Papal States 1740 zecchino Fr-231
The first specimen was lot 4183 in Goldberg sale 41 (Beverly Hills, May 2007), where it sold for $1,782.50. The catalog description noted, "Vatican. Zecchino, 1740. Benedict XIV (Prospero Lambertini), 1740-1758. Obv: Metaphor of church seated in the clouds. Leg: BEN. XIV. P.M. - A.I - 1740. Reverse: Arms below keys. Leg: DEDIT - PIGNVS. NGC graded MS-65." The second specimen was lot 1484 in Stephen Album sale 27 (Santa Rosa, CA, January 2017), where it did not sell. The catalog description noted, "PAPAL STATES: Benedict XIV, 1740-1758, AV zecchino, 1740. Year I, Church standing in clouds, nice luster and strike, NGC graded MS62." These one-year type were issued on the election of pope Benedict XIV (1740-58). Note the different reverse mottoes.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 3.45 g, .998 fine gold; the first specimen 3.43 grams, 21.41 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: Fr-231; CNI XVII, pl.XVI,2; Berman-2727; KM-936. The second specimen is Cr-24a, Berman-2728.
- Berman, Allen G., Papal Coins, South Salem, NY: Attic Books, 1991.
- Goldberg, Ira, and Larry Goldberg, Goldberg Sale 41: the Pre-Long Beach Sale, Beverly Hills: Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, 2007.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Album, Stephen, Joseph Lang, Paul Montz, Michael Barry and Norman Douglas Nicol, Auction 27, featuring the Dr. Paul Stevens Collection of Indian Coins, Part VI, Santa Rosa, CA: Stephen Album Rare Coins, Inc., 2016.