Papal States 1735-H testone
The first specimen was lot 50537 in Ponterio sale 168 (Philadelphia, August 2012), where it sold for $429. The catalog description noted, "Testone, 1735. NGC AU Details--Surface Hairlines. Clement XII (1730-40)." This date is listed in the SCWC as 1734 but the coin is clearly marked 1735. The testone was thirty baiocchi, while the piastra, the Italian equivalent of the German thaler, was 105 baiocchi.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 7.95 g, silver, .917 fine.
Catalog reference: KM-853; Berm-2634; Mutoni III-58.
- Berman, Allen G., Papal Coins, South Salem, NY: Attic Books, 1991.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Ponterio, Richard, Ponterio sale 168: The Official ANA Auction, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2012.
- (1715) piastra
- 1739 ducat
- 1734 testone QVERITE VT ABVNDETIS
- (1735) grosso, St. Peter reverse
- (1735) grosso, St. Paul reverse
- (1735) giulio, arms obverse
- 1735 testone, URBE NOBILITATA in cartouche
- 1735 testone, URBE NOBILITATA in laurel wreath
- Coins and currency dated 1735
- return to coins of the Papal States