Papal States 1676 1/2 grosso KM-378
This type was minted in 1676 as a sede vacante issue after the death of Clement X. Six different mezze grossi were struck in 1676, of which only two have a photo in the SCWC. The mezzo grosso was two and a half baiocchi, while the piastra, the Italian equivalent of the German thaler, was 105 baiocchi (3½ testone).
Recorded mintage: unknown but scarce.
Specification: 0.78 g, silver, .917 fine.
Catalog reference: Ber-2063, KM-378.
- Berman, Allen G., Papal Coins, South Salem, NY: Attic Books, 1991.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- (1655) mezzo grosso, sede vacante
- 1676 grosso sede vacante
- 1676 giulio sede vacante
- 1676 testone sede vacante
- 1676 piastra Dav-4084 sede vacante
- (1676) piastra Dav-4086
- (1676-89) piastra Dav-4095
- (1676-89) piastra Dav-4096
- 1689 mezzo grosso, sede vacante
- Coins and currency dated 1676
- return to coins of the Papal States