Papal States (1803)-R doppia Fr-248
This specimen was lot 1325 in Stephen Album sale 32 (Santa Rosa, CA, September 2018), where it sold for $440.63. The catalog description noted, "PAPAL STATES: Pius VII, 1800-1823, AV doppia, anno IV (1803), lightly cleaned, Almost Unc to Unc." This type was struck Anno I-X (1800-09) and is fairly expensive. The type doesn't fit into the already chaotic papal coinage system nor does it match the doppie of her neighbors, such as Naples, Parma and Sardinia. The series was also minted in Bologna (see Fr-249). During 1808-14, the Papal States were annexed to Napoleon's empire.
Recorded mintage: 180,000.
Specification: 5.47 g, .917 fine gold, 23 mm diameter, this specimen 5.45 g.
Catalog reference: KM-1070, Fr-248, Gig-4, Ber-3217.
- Berman, Allen G., Papal Coins, South Salem, NY: Attic Books, 1991.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Album, Stephen, Joseph Lang, Paul Montz, Michael Barry and Norman Douglas Nicol, Auction 32, featuring the Don Erickson Collection of German Coins, Part II and the Hazerfans Collection of Ottoman Empire Coins, Santa Rosa, CA: Stephen Album Rare Coins, Inc., 2018.