Papal States (1676) piastra Dav-4086
"VATIKAN/KIRCHENSTAAT Innocenzo XI. 1676-1689. Piastra AN I (1676), Rom. Winz. Schrötlingsfehler. Gutes sehr schön. (Papal States, Innocent XI, 1676-89, piastra of 1676, Rome mint. Good very fine.)"The third specimen was lot 1912 in Sincona sale 47 (Zurich, May 2018), where it sold for 340 CHF (about US$408 including buyer's fees). The catalog description noted,
"Kirchenstaat, Innozenz XI. 1676-1689. Piastra AN I (1676/1677), Rom. Berman 2091. Sehr schön. Schrötlingsfehler. (Papal States, Innocent XI, 1676-89, piastra of the year 1, Rome mint. Very fine, Flan defect.)"Coinage of the Papal States remains popular today for, besides the strong associations for Catholics, this period saw a string of commemorative issues featuring wonderfully vivid portraits of the various men who occupied the throne of St. Peter. This issue was issued 1676 only. The piastra was the Italian equivalent of the German thaler.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: silver, the second specimen 31.95 g, the third specimen 31.47 g.
- Berman, Allen G., Papal Coins, South Salem, NY: Attic Books, 1991.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Ponterio, Richard, Ponterio sale 168: The Official ANA Auction, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2012.
- Numismatic Coins, Medals & Banknotes, Auction 11, Zurich: Sincona AG, 2013.
- Richter, Jürg, Auction 47, World Coins and Medals, Coins and Medals from Switzerland, Zurich: Sincona AG, 2018