Papal States (1534-49) scudo d'oro Fr-65
"ITALIEN, Vatikan - Kirchenstaat, Paul III. 1534-1549. Scudo doro o. J. Gutes sehr schön. (Papal States, Paul III, 1534-49, undated gold scudo. Good very fine.)"The scudo d'oro started out matching the gold duct but soon shrank in weight and fineness to match the German goldgulden. Friedberg records the first scudo d'oro from this reign.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 3.36 g, .917 fine gold, the third specimen 3.39 g.
Catalog reference: Fr-65, the first specimen: Berman-903; the third specimen Ber-904.
- Berman, Allen G., Papal Coins, South Salem, NY: Attic Books, 1991.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Stuart Levine and Bruce Lorich, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3029, featuring Selections from the Eric P. Newman Collection, Part III, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2013.
- Richter, Jürg, Auction 46, Gold Coins and Medals, Zurich: Sincona AG, 2018.
- Papal States (1534-49) 1/2 lira
- (1534-49) testone
- Papal States (1534-49) scudo d'oro Fr-344
- Papal States (1534-49) scudo d'oro Fr-412
- Papal States (1534-49) scudo d'oro Fr-422
- Papal States (1534-49) fiorino di camera Fr-64
- Papal States (1534-49) 2 fiorini di camera Fr-62
- Papal States (1550-55) scudo d'oro Fr-69
- Coins and currency dated 1534
- return to coins of the Papal States