Papal States (1534-49) fiorino di camera Fr-64
This specimen was lot 30179 in Heritage sale 3029 (New York, January 2014), where it sold for $2,232.50. The catalog description noted, "Papal States. Paolo (Paul) III gold Fiorino di Camera ND (1534-49), Rome mint, AU53 NGC. Obv. Coat of arms. Rev. St. Peter in boat right, raising fishing net. A slight soft strike around the periphery with some earthen encrustation remaining. A very scarce issue. " The fiorino (florin) was about 3% lighter than the ducat or zecchino. Friedberg records the first fiorino from 1475 and the last from the reign of Paul III (1534-49).
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 3.39 g, .986 fine gold.
Catalog reference: Fr-64, Nomisma-68, Muntoni-6 var, Ber-902.
- Berman, Allen G., Papal Coins, South Salem, NY: Attic Books, 1991.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Stuart Levine and Bruce Lorich, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3029, featuring Selections from the Eric P. Newman Collection, Part III, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2013.
- Papal States (1523-34) fiorino di camera Fr-60
- Papal States (1523-34) 2 fiorini di camera Fr-59
- Papal States (1534-49) scudo d'oro Fr-65
- Papal States (1534-49) scudo d'oro Fr-344
- Papal States (1534-49) 2 fiorini di camera Fr-62
- Papal States (1555-59) giulio
- Coins and currency dated 1534
- return to coins of the Papal States