Oaxaca 1813 1/2 real KM-220.2
This specimen was lot 43506 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2019), where it sold for $1,140. The catalog description noted, "MEXICO. War of Independence. Oaxaca. 1/2 Real Sud, 1813. PCGS EF-45 Gold Shield. Cast silver issue. SCARCE in the state of preservation. A well preserved example from this normally well worn issue crude issue. Well defined devices with deep attractive tone. A lovely small silver coin sure to be a welcome addition to the next collection it enters." After Hidalgo was captured and executed in 1811, José Maria Morelos took over the independence movement until his capture and execution in 1815. His center of operations was in Oaxaca, where copper and silver half, one, two and eight reales were minted 1811-14. Oaxaca was also the scene of royalist issues in 1812. The paucity of bullion meant that silver issues were few.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Catalog reference: KM-220.2; Cal-1355.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, Matt Orsini and Cris Chatigny, The January 2019 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2018.
- Oaxaca 1812 real KM-167 royalist
- 1813-MO ¼ real
- 1813-MO ½ real
- Oaxaca 1813 1/2 real KM-221 Morelos
- Tierra Caliente 1813 1/2 real KM-243
- Congreso Americano (1813) real
- 1813-D real
- 1813-MO real
- Oaxaca 1813 real KM-223
- (1813) ½ real, Osorno c/m
- (1813) real, Osorno c/m
- Puebla 1813 real issued by Osorno in Zacatlan
- Chilpancingo (1813-15) 2 reales KM-257.2 c/m on a cast 2 reales
- 1813-MO JJ 2 reales
- 1813-MO TH 2 reales
- Mexico 1813 2 reales KM-212 Supreme National Congress
- Mexico 1813 4 reales KM-214 Supreme National Congress
- Chilpancingo (1813-15) 4 reales c/m on a cast 4 reales
- Chilpancingo (1813-15) 8 reales KM-258.3 c/m on a cast 8 reales
- 1813-CA 8 reales
- 1813-GA 8 reales
- 1813-MO HJ 8 reales
- 1813-MO JJ 8 reales
- 1813-GA 8 escudos
- Coins and currency dated 1813
- return to Mexican colonial coinage, 1536-1822