North West Company 1820 token
"Possibly Unique Spectacular Condition North West Company Token. North West Company brass Unholed Token 1820 MS61 NGC, Brass, unholed and plain edge, (instead of the normal engrailed edge) and quite possibly unique as such. Well-struck, except in the center of the portrait, which is normal for the high relief of the die. Overall brown-yellow patina, with a few shallow verdigris spots and minor rim bumps. The present piece is the only plain edge example (and the highest grade of any variety) known to us. Because of its edge, it is very tempting indeed to conclude that the present piece is a trial strike, never intended to be issued. A spectacular highlight of the collection, with both Canadian and United States ties, and sure to attract spirited bidding. Ex. H.D. Gibbs Collection (New Netherlands' portion of the 1952 ANA Sale, Aug. 1952, lot 906), Wayte Raymond Estate, John Ford Collection (Stack's John J. Ford Collection Part II, May 2004, lot 252). As noted in the Introduction, the North West Co. tokens were likely issued and possibly used only in what is now the United States. They were employed by the Hudson's Bay Co. for several years, after a possible initial use by the North West Co. for only a matter of months. From the Doug Robins Collection of Canadian Tokens."
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Catalog reference: Br-925, FT-9A.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Cross, W. K., The Charlton Standard Catalogue of Canadian Coins, 47th Ed., Toronto: Charlton International, 1993.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach and Warren Tucker, Heritage World Coin Auction 3064, featuring the Doug Robins Collection of Canadian Tokens, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2018.
- Halifax 1815 1/2 penny token
- Magdalen Island 1815 penny token
- Canada (1837-38) sou token KM-Tn5 "bouquet"
- Canada 1837 1/2 penny token KM-Tn6 "habitant"
- Canada 1837 1/2 penny token KM-Tn8 "habitant"
- Canada 1837 1/2 penny token KM-Tn9 "habitant"
- Canada 1837 penny token KM-Tn11 "habitant"
- Canada 1837 penny token KM-Tn13 "habitant"
- Coins and currency dated 1820
- return to coins of Canada