Naples and Sicily 1857 60 grana
This specimen was lot 3998 in Stack's-Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2015), where it did not sell. The catalog description noted, "ITALY. Naples & Sicily. 60 Grana, 1857. NGC MS-62. Lightly toned." This type was recorded for 1846-59 and is scarce in nice condition. The Kingdom of the Two Sicilies was annexed to Italy in 1860 but remains poor, backward and corrupt. Sixty grana was half a piastra.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 13.77 g, .833 fine silver, 31 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: KM-361.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Fabrizi, Davide, Monete Italiane Regionale: Napoli, Pavia: Edizioni Numismatica Varesi, 2010.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Ponterio, Richard, The January 2015 NYINC Auction: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, Featuring the John W. Adams and Ray Czabor Collections, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2014.