Naples and Sicily 1857 120 grana Dav-175
The first specimen was lot 10516 in Ponterio sale 169 (Baltimore, November 2012), where it sold for $282. The catalog description noted, "ITALY. Naples & Sicily. 120 Grana, 1857. NGC MS-63. From the Demarete Collection." This type was issued 1851-59 for Ferdinand II. These large silver coins are priced fairly low in the SCWC but do not turn up often. Montenegro lists ten varieties for this date. The Kingdom of the Two Sicilies was annexed to Italy in 1860 but remains poor, backward and corrupt.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 27.53 g, .833 fine silver, .737 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: KM C-153c; MIR-503/6; Gig-88; Mont-813, Dav-175.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Fabrizi, Davide, Monete Italiane Regionale: Napoli, Pavia: Edizioni Numismatica Varesi, 2010.
- Gigante, Fabio, Gigante 2016: Catalogo Nazionale delle Monete Italiano Dal '700 All'Euro, 24a ed. Varese, Italy, 2015.
- Montenegro, Eupremio, Montenegro 2015: Manuale del Collezionista di Monete Italiane, 30 ed., Torino, Italy: Montenegro s.a.s., 2014.
- Ponterio, Richard, Ponterio sale 169: The November 2012 Baltimore Auction, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers, LLC, 2012.